On Oct 8, 2008, at 11:29 AM, Andrew Dupont wrote:

> I shall end the shitstorm here and now.
> ... he probably can't think of a single case in which it's
> _useful_ to use the wrapper objects instead of the primitives they
> wrap.

Honestly, I can't either.  I don't see any reason to use the object
wrappers in the first place, and would thus never encounter the issue.
(I would go a step further, and suggest use of the object wrappers to
be "less-good" design because of the extra code required to use 'em.)

At a higher level, the question I wanted to raise is the balance
between principles of good design (e.g. POLS) and requiring a use case
to be common enough before any changes are made--because there should
be a balance; one view is not always correct.  That wasn't the
discussion I was hearing; that's why I joined the conversation.

I'll try and shut up now.  =)

TAG

=====
“Always be the worst guy in every band you’re in. If you’re the best
guy there, you need to be in a different band. And I think that works
for almost everything that’s out there as well.” ~Pat Metheny  (h/t
"Pragmatic Thinking & Learning: Refactor your wetware")