Hi Sebastien,

In case you missed it there at the end, Allen was referring you to a
javascript programming pattern you might have overlooked in your research:

   Comet: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_%28programming%29

I'd argue that is does belong in any discussion of the future of
prototype, precisely *because* "there is no standard way to interact
with these server side applications".

IMO prototype is uniquely positioned to standardize such a way, and
hopefully would wrap up the interface nicely in just the right way for
developer ease of use, while hiding (as it has in the past) the ugly
browser-dependent plumbing underneath so that we don't have to care
that, for instance, a) classic comet always-connected multi-part
messaging works on Gecko browsers but b) you have to fall back to a
stream of long-polling script tags in a hidden iframe on webkit, and of
course c) HTML5 will button all this up in a new, efficient standards
compliant way for all browsers.

I'd personally prefer all that ugliness be hidden from me so I can write
3-line comet calls now that will Just Work off into the unknown future,
and its history of delivering those types of future-proof API's is what
I've always loves about prototype!

-dave