I think it says on the scriptaculous site that fade doesn't work
exactly right with tables.  It seems to be doing the trick, but I went
ahead and tried prototype's remove and still faced the same issue.  If
it's removed and still be counted, I don't think the Element.visible
trick is going to work, but I'll give it a try.

Any other suggestions?  Thanks.