from within a class, you can use class.constructor to refer to the
class rather than an instance of it. so you can have the equivalent of
a "static" array or something on the class.

initialize: function()
{
  this.register();
}

register: function()
{
  this.constructor.instances.push(this.detailsYouWantToSave);
  this.id = this.constructor.instances.length;
}

or something like that