Hi,

I suspect what's happening is that the browser is closing the page
before the effect completes (probably before it even really starts),
because it has no reason not to.  Unlike with the alert, where it
knows there's something going on, from the browser's perspective
there's nothing special about your effect that should keep the page
open.  It's just another timer that's running, and timers don't
prevent unloading the page.

It *may* be possible to achieve this with various handlers, although I
think it would be difficult (for instance, differentiating between the
user closing the window vs. reusing the window [perhaps by typing in
the address bar] to go to a different URL).  But FWIW, from a UI
standpoint, I'd strongly recommend against it.  The user has said
"close this page", and a half-second fade effect by definition
introduces a half-second delay into that operation.  A half second
doesn't sound like much, but it's *very* perceptible (average humans
quite easily perceive intervals down to a 10th of a second).  When
I've say "go away" I don't need things sticking around for half a
second to show me an effect.  It reminds me of the Office Assistant in
MS Office:  When you turn it off, instead of going away immediately --
clearly what the user wants! -- it looks unhappy and slinks off,
taking its time about it.  But that's just my two cents.

FWIW,