This is great advice. Let me add one more bit: run your page through
the W3C validator. If it passes, but the page doesn't work as
expected, then that's one thing you can cross off the list while
debugging. But if your page doesn't validate, then fixing whatever is
broken is a valuable first step. Prototype and Scripty are not very
forgiving of "quirks mode" HTML.

Walter