Thank you.  I downloaded a demo of another site
http://wiseguysonly.com/demos/scriptaculous/ajax-autocompletion/autocomplete.php
using scriptaculous and it seems to work but I can't the arrow keys to
work when I want to select one of the items from the result list.

I also can't get the results to show by just the first letter.  Say if
the list contains coffee and frank, I type f and just want frank to be
found, not coffee.  But it shows both frank and coffee.  Here is the
link

here is the php lookup

        $sql = "SELECT UNIQUE_CUST_ID FROM test2 WHERE UNIQUE_CUST_ID LIKE
'%" . $_POST['search'] . "%'";
        $rs = mysql_query($sql);
?>

<ul>

<? while($data = mysql_fetch_assoc($rs)) { ?>
  <li><? echo stripslashes($data['UNIQUE_CUST_ID']);?></li>
<? } ?>
</ul>