I found an old blog entry that uses Prototype & script.aculo.us to
create a drag-drop portal style interface.
http://aymanh.com/drag-drop-portal-interface-with-scriptaculous

It's got a couple of bugs that are noted but the author is no longer
interested in developing it further. I think if the bugs are worked
out and it is tweaked to allow it to be applied generically, it would
make a great addition to script.aculo.us.

Specifically:
1. Multiple instances of the class could exist on the same page.
2. Pass it simple generic parameters like: CSS Class Selectors for the
Container, Columns, Widgets, and Handle.

I'd like to get some feedback on whether the community believes this
project to be workable and worthwhile. And what the best place to
collaborate on the code would be.

-Mark