Thank you Alex!  I'll read up on your suggestion and get more
familiarized with it.  I've got another one if you don't mind, which
I've posted on a different forum:

Here's what I've been meaning to come up with:

One page. One navigation bar. Multiple links in navigation bar, say
four -- Home, Content, About, Contact -- with home as initial display
on load.

ALL of the contents is in a div in the middle.

When I click on CONTENT, a page with the "content" fades in (or slides
in) and overlaps the default content of "HOME." If I click on CONTACT,
the same thing happens, this time overlapping the previous "page"
which was CONTENT.

I managed to make individual instances of the Effect.Appear using
Script.aculo.us, but my DIVs won't overlap. I tried fixing it with CSS
z-index, but it's still messed up.