Something else I should mention is that I also need to extend dragdrop
slightly so that when a panel is dropped, it triggers a function that
saves the user's new page layout. I'll probably do this by gathering
the layout info and then invoking a web method.

How easy would it be to extend the 'drop' functionality slightly so
that it calls a function I've defined myself?

We're either going to do it this way, or take the user to a config
page with moveable panels and a save button.. I'm not sure this has
yet been decided.