Hi,

To get it working you need an id, because of the way you have written
your code. ( I show you at the end, what I think is a better way )

FROM:
new Ajax.Updater('user_cert_type','inc/actions/certifications.php',
{ method: 'post', parameters:'agency=' + $(id).getValue()}); return
false;

TO:
id ='user_cert_agency';new Ajax.Updater('user_cert_type','inc/actions/
certifications.php', { method: 'post', parameters:'agency=' + $
(id).getValue()}); return false;

I have tested it on my local server and it works. ( firefox + ie7 )

Before </body> insert

I would suggest you take away doing the onchange and use.
<script type="text/javascript">
//<![CDATA[

$("user_cert_agency").observe('change',function(event){
Event.stop(event);
id = 'user_cert_agency';
new Ajax.Updater('user_cert_type','inc/actions/certifications.php',
{ method: 'post', parameters:'agency=' + $(id).getValue()});
return false;
});

//]]>
</script>

As it makes things clearer. Also it allows you not to have to worry
about ' and " ( single quotes / quotes incase they get removed from my
post )