Hi,

Would the dom:loaded event[1] provide the trigger you're looking for?
Or am I missing the point, as seems likely. :-)  If the real issue is
identifying the correct div or something, it depends on how the tabs
are being done, but you should be able to figure out which tab is
"visible" and then find the appropriate error box (perhaps by
classname by using Element#select[2] on the tab's element).

Apologies if I've completely misunderstood and told you things you
already know. :-)

[1] http://prototypejs.org/api/document/observe
[2] http://prototypejs.org/api/element/select

HTH,