Hi TJ, thanks for the reply - that does sound about right for what I
want, congrats!

I tried this code:

document.observe("dom:loaded", function() {
  var pageBox = $('editProducts').select('div.test');
  Effect.SlideDown($(pageBox)); return false;
});

the 'editProducts' part is the bit that needs to be dynamic,
basically, but for now I'm trying to test it using hardcoded
variables. The #editProducts div/tab definitely contains a div with a
class 'test' but it doesn't run the effect when I display it. Is my
syntax wrong?