Hi Richard,

Glad that was useful. :-)

> I've tried multiple things to coerce the
> value out of the cell but so far have not had much luck.  Any hints?

There are lots of ways to go.  Nich's answer is pretty easy to drop
into the function I gave you, though you might rename "cells" to
"grades" (and the "cell" parameter to the anonymous function with
"grade"), being sure to update the var statement, and replace this

        cells = row.select('td.relevant');

...with

        grades = row.select('input[id^=grade]');

...at which point this

            val = parseInt(cell.innerHTML);

...becomes

            val = parseInt(grade.getValue());

...which calls the Form.Element#getValue method[1] on each input.

[1] http://prototypejs.org/api/form/element/getValue

Or if you're using IDs for all this stuff, a different approach
entirely, based on IDs, might be called for.  That would be more in
line with Walter's suggestion [$F(id) is basically $(id).getValue()].

(I'm curious about the ID "grade1".  Is that the first grade in the
row for a given student?  E.g., Joe has grade1, grade2, grade3, etc.?
If so, how are they differentiated from Nitin's grades in the next
row?  IDs have to be unique.)

Anyway, hope this gets you going.