Again, brilliant help on everything guys!

I worked on this thing for quite a while last night and eventually got
it to work in a round-about sort-of way.  I used something like
cell.getFirstChild().getSibling().value; a really ugly hack.  I ended
up making the changes as suggested by T.J. and it works beautifully.

About the IDs of each field; since I'm running RoR and I want to
update the database with the latest data everytime someone changes a
score, all of the IDs will be set to something like a hash of student
id and assignment id.  That way when it gets sent to my controller I
can split it back out again and use the info to update my model.  Does
this sound correct?  Or is there a neat, better way to do this?

Thanx!
  Richard