On 14 Jan 2009, at 16:58, jason maina wrote:

> Cutting to the chase, how do I do an asynchronous file upload, been
> googling all day with nothing really positive, may be been looking
> in all the wrong places.

Javascript doesn't allow local file access.

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=ajax+file+upload&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Basically your choice comes down to:
- Flash based uploader, e.g. SWFupload (swfupload.org)
- iFrame trick, post file to a hidden iframe, handle it in the backend
and evaluate the response back into the main document

Best regards

Peter De Berdt