On 16 Jan 2009, at 11:39, Stucture_Ulf wrote:

> Does anyone have good examples or links to how to work with a progress
> bar if you select an iframe solution?

You didn't say what framework/backend language you are using.

When it comes to Rails, the only way to do it as far as I know is by
adding the mongrel_progress plugin to mongrel and serving your app
that way. You need full access to the VPS/server to do it.

http://mongrel.rubyforge.org/wiki/UploadProgress

Flash-based uploaders are a lot easier, they monitor upload progress
clientside and don't need serverside "hacks" nor a periodical updater
firing off requests every few seconds to monitor progress.

I doubt there's any ready-made just-plug-something-in solution out
there, because you really need to understand what you are actually
doing.

For SWFUpload gotchas in Rails applications, I'm referring to a thread
I participated in a while ago detailing all the steps needed to take
to get SWFUpload to work seamlessly with Rails > 2. Most of the stuff
that's in there will probably apply to other frameworks too (maybe a
slightly different implementatio). If the javascript and tips are
totally gibberish for you, I would go for a simple non-ajax upload
until you're more familiar with clientside web technology.

http://groups.google.com/group/rubyonrails-talk/browse_thread/thread/45f70281a5992fa7

Best regards

Peter De Berdt