Hi,

> The line:
>
> Event.observe('$formName', 'submit', checkReqFields, false);
>
> is causing...

In the code you quoted, that line doesn't exist; this does:

>     Event.observe('fm', 'submit', checkReqFields, false);

I assumed at first that you were quoting the end result that went to
the browser rather than the PHP source code, but then noticed that
further down in the function you quoted, you _do_ have PHP source
code, which made me wonder...  Did you accidentally replace $formName
with fm in your source, and are you now running with a different form
name?  Not likely, but just checking.

If not that:  You're sure that "fm" is the _ID_ of the form?  E.g.,
<form id='fm'>, not (for example) <form name='fm'>?

If that's not it, to continue troubleshooting, I'd suggest picking up
with #3 on this list:
http://proto-scripty.wikidot.com/faq#xyzprob

(BTW, if you're using 1.6, Event#observe no longer has the fourth
parameter.)

FWIW & HTH,