I am doing the following on one of my pages:

document.observe("dom:loaded", function() {
    Event.observe('fm', 'submit', checkReqFields, false);
    $('resetBtn').observe('click',resetForm);

    #if(!$edit)
      initForm();
    #else
      disableOther();
    #end
  });

The line:

Event.observe('$formName', 'submit', checkReqFields, false);

is causing an "element is null" error on page load. If I remove that
line, I don't get the error. The form that is referenced exists, the
function checkReqFields exists and the script is located after the
HTML, so all of the elements should exist before it is executed.

I do something very similar on another page and it works fine. Any
ideas as to what is causing this problem?