A good night's rest made me see that I did not have an id attribute on
the form element, just a name. My bad. That gets me sometimes when I
am referencing form fields.

By the way, the code is actually velocity, a little-known java
template language. It was part of a project we ended up using a few
years back and now we are stuck with it.