> T.J., while I absolutely agree with what you have said, I think you're
> missing part of BearState's question:

Thanks, Colin.  On first read, I thought he meant some knucklehead
*programmers* might think it was a bug *in Prototype*.  But I think
you're right.

And yes, simply displaying something when there's an outstanding
request should provide the appropriate feedback.  In fact, the
Ajax.Responders[1] are designed specifically for doing this (amongst
other things), and they even maintain a handy "how many requests are
pending" counter (Ajax.activeRequestCount) for you...

[1] http://prototypejs.org/api/ajax/responders

FWIW,