@Kangax: That's definitely a nice improvement! I've updated my post to
include your method as well as an "Improved" method that adds my trick
for reusing the args array.  The "improved" version is a little slower
when you call the bound function w/out args, but is significantly
faster (on most platforms) when you do pass args.  Since I'd say it's
a tossup as to how often a bound function will/won't be passed
arguments this seems like a good tradeoff to make.