On Mar 14, 11:43 am, Tobie Langel <tobie.lan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to see how we can combine all of this elegantly with
> bindAsEventListener and curry.

I personally don't understand the need for `bindAsEventListener` at
all. It's the most misunderstood method in Prototype. Its scope of use
is so narrow that it makes sense to deprecate it.

To explain:

`bindAsEventListener` guarantees that an event object is being passed
as a first argument to an event handler. The problem is that every
single use of `bindAsEventListener` that I've seen is used with
`observe`. When `observe` uses `attachEvent` (in MSHTML DOM) it
already does pass event object as a first argument to event handler
(which makes `event || window.event` in `bindAsEventListener`
redundant). `bind` suffices most of the time, except when a partial
application is used (or, of course, if you're not using `observe` in
the first place, but an intrinsic event attribute).

Another problem is that `bindAsEventListener` is almost *never* used
with partial application (look at Scriptaculous, for example, or
practically any other snippet on the web).

What this all means is that these 2 expressions are functionally
identical (considering that they are called from within the same
execution context):

myElement.observe('click', onClick.bind(this));
myElement.observe('click', onClick.bindAsEventListener(this));

And there's absolutely no need to use the latter one.

myElement.observe('click', onClick.bindAsEventListener(this, 'foo',
'bar'));

- on the other hand, ensures that an event handler, when called, will
have an `event` object as a first argument (i.e. "foo" and "bar" will
be second and third arguments, rather than first and second). This is
exactly what's misunderstood about this method.

[...]

--
kangax