Is your entire path to and from the database UTF-8? That's a huge
requirement of Prototype's Ajax implementation, so if you are sending
back data under the wrong Content-type/charset header, or your
database is transmogrifying the characters somewhere, or Perl is, then
you've got your problem there. I've used the AAC with Greek
characters, French accents, I know it works if your entire path is
UTF-8. You can try adding the Ajax options detailed here[1], but I'm
not sure if it will entirely solve your problem.

Walter

1. http://prototypejs.org/api/ajax/options