Are you sending the header on the main page as well as the snippet
you're returning via Ajax? If there's a mismatch between the main body
of the page and the replacement code, that could be another issue.
Look in Firebug at the headers from your initial request for the page
(click on Net, then click on the filename of the page to disclose
those headers), and then the replacement (in the usual Console tab).
See if they match one another.

Walter