HTML className is not spec'd to be page-unique, so there is no such
concept as "get the one element with this className". The DOM function
is document.getElements.ByClassName (note the plural), and returns an
array -- even if there's just one such on the page. Likewise the
Prototype double-dollar always returns an array, maybe even an empty
array.

So you have to use one of the Iterator functions to apply the desired
transformation to each element of the array. In your case, I would use
invoke, since it's very fast.

$$('.some_class').invoke('remove');

Walter