I am running the vendor code and my prototype code from the same folder
on the same server with almost the same file name.  The only difference
is I added pt to the filename that my prototype code is trying to run
from.

http://server_a/ajaxIG.html is the vendor code and it calls
http://server_b/cm/servlet/cmwebservice wih no issue.

my prototype code is http://server_a/ajaxIGpt.html and it calls the same
web service.

I am using prototype to successfully make calls to other internal
servers on the network without an issue.

from http://server_a/signer.html I use prototype to call
http://server_c/somewebservice without a problem.

I guess I am going to have to stick with the vendor code even though
it's not as pretty as prototype.