Hi,

> I am running the vendor code and my prototype code from the same folder
> on the same server with almost the same file name.

So, something else is going on. :-)  I'd recommend walking through the
call using a debugger (Firebug[1], for instance).  If you're not even
seeing the call get initiated, that suggests that Prototype isn't
firing off the request, so you should be able to see why not.

[1] http://www.getfirebug.com

HTH,