As I see it the advantages of doing it client-side are:
- The server can handle more users because less work is done there
- Cleaner delineation for presentation layer.  If I want to change the
way things look, there are fewer places I need to go.
- Possibly better user experience because there is no delay between
adding an item and it showing on on there screen.