Hi emooney,

You're exemple were launch from your computer locally, not from an
external website.
I try your exemple and it works in IE6 & FF3.5

But in real website, that shouldn't work for both and all other
browser, because AJAX should be submitted to the same domain/subdomain
as the document domain/subdomain. There is some work to specify this
need, but I don't know if browser implement it at all.
I remember that I saw a prototype extension (think it was for 1.5)
that implement cross domain request, but I did not know if it is
ported to prototype 1.6.

Go and have a look at http://scipteka.com to see if any exist, or try
googling.

--