The work you're talking about is CORS[1], from the W3C.  It's
implemented in Firefox 3.5[2] and Safari 4[3].

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/access-control/
[2] https://developer.mozilla.org/En/HTTP_access_control
[3]
http://developer.apple.com/safari/library/documentation/AppleApplications/Conceptual/SafariJSProgTopics/Articles/XHR.html