Interesting. I tried to add the following CSS rule to my code:

* {
        padding: 0px;
        margin: 0px;
}

The position of the inputs changed. However, input #1 is rendered a
little bit below input #2 (even before I call clonePosition).
Inspecting span #1 with Firebug, I can see 1px of "offset" on the top,
which doesn't happen with span #2. Is this an attribute I have control
over using CSS? After clonePosition, input #1 remains a bit below
input #2 (although this is almost unnoticeable when the page is not
zoomed in).

Then I tried adding a font-size declaration to the CSS rule:

* {
        padding: 0px;
        margin: 0px;
        font-size: 12px;
}

For some reason, the components look properly aligned before calling
clonePosition (even though Firebug still indicates that "offset"
pixel). However, when I call clonePosition, the same alignment problem
shows up.

Tiago