disccomp, Richard, Alex; thanks for your replies.

The problem with minified compressed versions is that they will never
get cached on the client side.

I mean, they will, but you will still be sending them each one of the
different "combinations"--so instead of loading prototype.js once, the
user will be loading it -albeit compressed- once on every different
combination.

This is a problem, since, like I said, this is a web application that
is meant to be used several times throughout the day, and taking
advantage of browser-caching is quite important for us.

Those ideas are part of the advices that YSlow proposes--and they are
quite good, thanks =)

I will look into those solutions, but, I'm not fully convinced yet
that they are entirely adequate for this particular problem.

(Once again, thanks for your responses, guys.)