Hi Jason,

> > the way you write it is good even in IE.
> > When write " onComplete: parent_response() ", you launch the function
> > at initialisation time, and the AJAX was not call, so you input is
> > undefined. If you test alert(originalRequest) you should also have
> > undefined.
>
> When should this be launched, then?  I thought onComplete called the
> callback function after the entire ajax call had completed, regardless
> of success/failure ?

In fact by writting parent_response(), it indicate that you execute
the function on the creation of the AJAX request, and the retruned of
the execution of the function value will be used for the onComplete.
So the onComplete value will be uindefined (as you return nothing in
the function).
By setting parent_response, you copy the function definition to the
onComplete parameter.
This is the big difference.

> > For your trouble, what is the response text of the AJAX request ??
> > you should check it too, in case xML was not recognize by IE and set
> > as text.
>
> It definitely returns XML ..  It's something like this :
>
> <Departments>
>   <ou name='foo' value='bar' />
>   <ou name='baz' value='qux' />
> </Departments>

The originalRequest in your parent_response function is in fact an
response Object, go and see the API doc at
http://prototypejs.org/api/ajax/response
If the originalRequest.text value inside the function is your XML
document, it should be a problem in header not recognize by IE.
in that case, you should create an XML document by yourself with the
returned text or modify header.

One thougth, is it a well formed XML, beginning with <xml ...> asthe
root tag ? it could also be a reason.

To know what contain originalRequest just paste on this thread the
retruned value of:
$H(originalRequest).inspect(). We will have all info on that object.

--
david