On 09/18/2009 06:43 AM, david wrote:
> Hi Jason,
>
> In fact by writting parent_response(), it indicate that you execute
> the function on the creation of the AJAX request, and the retruned of
> the execution of the function value will be used for the onComplete.
> So the onComplete value will be uindefined (as you return nothing in
> the function).
> By setting parent_response, you copy the function definition to the
> onComplete parameter.
> This is the big difference.

Yes, that is a massive difference ...  Thanks for the explanation !

> The originalRequest in your parent_response function is in fact an
> response Object, go and see the API doc at
> http://prototypejs.org/api/ajax/response
> If the originalRequest.text value inside the function is your XML
> document, it should be a problem in header not recognize by IE.
> in that case, you should create an XML document by yourself with the
> returned text or modify header.

The exact output of the program being called is follows :

<departments>
  <ou value='1' name='Academics' />
  <ou value='2' name='Admissions' />
</departments>

I *think* this is valid, though it is missing a doctype header.  It's a
php script outputting this which we've written to send a header of:

> One thougth, is it a well formed XML, beginning with <xml ...> asthe
> root tag ? it could also be a reason.

I believe it's well-formed, at least to my knowledge..

> To know what contain originalRequest just paste on this thread the
> retruned value of:
> $H(originalRequest).inspect(). We will have all info on that object.

via IE8?  It returns nothing.  I tried adding:

alert($H(originalRequest).inspect()); to the parent_response method and
the alert never shows up when running via IE8.