I'm sorry Alex, but I definitely not agree with you !
First because there is existing method to cache the Ajax request and
they use local object to save the result (we have now some new way to
save locally a variable but it's not cross-browser).

And next, because an array is much more flexible than variables. you
could access each element independantly and have the length method (In
our exemple, to know how much elements have been saved). And if each
request should have a specific position in the array, length is no
more working, but Prototype have sugaristic method that help you
playing with Array the way you need.

But there is I think plenty way to do this.

--
david