What I use in this case is:
$('test').textContent || $('test').innerText

If textContent is defined, it is used. if it isn't, innerText is used.
This would be a lot faster than stripping tags.
The only drawback I can think of is that sometime you may get an
undefined instead of an empty string (which would be equivalent to
false).

Eric