I've created a web app using prototype's Ajax class to do most of the
heavy lifting. The initial web page only loads once and from then on
everything is manipulated with XMLHttpRequests. (Mostly POST requests)

The problem I'm running into is that every once in a while, the
Ajax.Updater somehow results in a normal http request being made, and
as a result, the entire web page is re-sent rather than just the inner-
html content.

I have no idea what is causing it. It is not easily reproducible, and
seems to happen at random. I've had people reporting this happening on
both Firefox and IE8.

This is a rails app, with prototype 1.6.1.

Any suggestions? I haven't been able to reproduce it personally, but I
have observed it on somebody else's computer where I installed Firebug
with the net extension so that I could monitor the XMLHttpRequests.

One idea that came to me last night was that it might possibly be
something to do with that buggy .NET addon. I got rid of it, but it
was present on the computer where I was able to observe this
happening, and any problems with it are probably present in IE8 as
well. I know that addon has caused problems with communication in the
past, so I thought I might look into that.

But if anybody has any suggestions, or has seen similar issues
elsewhere, please let me know.