Are you sure your firebug is compatible with this FF version?
I experienced this kind of issues (js errors occurring without any
error message or exception) in the past due to conflict between new FF
and old Firebug.

I also noticed that for some reason when one exception is fired during
an Ajax call, Firebug sometime doesn't show anything.
For what it worth, did you try to put a breakpoint in Ajax.Request's
handler (the code that will actually call your callback)?

Eric