One thing to add here (in agreement with TJ) is that Prototype demands a valid page in order to work predictably. If a particular page or effect won't work correctly, the answer might be in the HTML or it might be in the JavaScript. And they're both valid points to discuss here, in my opinion, because they bear on getting the framework to, well, work.

Walter