When using "$.noConflict();" you need to load Prototype before loading
jQuery. The <script> tag for Prototype literally needs to be above the
<script> tag for jQuery.

When using noConflict I find the most useful way of separating the two
libraries logically is to assign jQuery a new name.

For instance:

var $j = jQuery.noConflict();
// Do something with jQuery
$j("div p").hide();
// Do something with Prototype
$("content").hide();

I have a project called Modevious that specifically uses Prototype and
jQuery together (along with other plugins and components) and it
separates the two like so ($ for Prototype and $j for jQuery, and $c
for my own library).

When using Prototype $ works just as expected, but when using jQuery
you must use $j. jQuery plugin authors are usually good about
encapsulating their plugin so that even though their code may specify
$ jQuery does a good job working with that and they are accessible via
$j.

For instance Pines Notify is by default $.pnotify("Message"). But when
using Modevious or simply noConflict like above it is called by using
$j.pnotify("Message").

Hope that helps you use two wonderful libraries together.