Is there a way to get a collection of ProceesingInstruction nodes using the
double-dollar or similar methods? What would you call these elements such that
they could be found?

Mine look like this:

<?pb Edition: current; Page: xxiii?>

and are scattered everywhere in the documents I'm working in.

I have tried a whole bunch of variations on the literal tag name, and when I
tried $$(ProcessingInstruction) I got back just about every tag in the document
except that page break notation I was looking for. I'd like to keep them as
they are coded, but be able to inject little page markers in the visible page
on demand.

I originally had them converted into spans by my preprocessor, but then because
of the way they are sprinkled into the original XML these titles are converted
from, they can occur literally anywhere -- inside a list (without a parent LI),
inside a P, inside a DIV -- there's no rhyme or reason to it. So I went back to
this notation, since it can legally live (nearly) anywhere within an HTML
document.

Ah, the joys of scholarly text processing...

Walter