jQuery is DOM-only, and Prototype is general Javascript with classes etc. If
you program in Javascript (versus just setting colors positions css etc.), then
Prototype is much better choice. For DOM-oriented tasks, both are good.

For me as a programmer, Prototype is better, since I can express my intentions
more clearly with Object-Oriented approach. For a non-programmer and/or
beginner (e.g. web designer) jQuery is easier to use and learn because it is
simpler (procedural) and limited to DOM-oriented tasks.

izidor