Colin, thanks for taking the time to look.  Yes, the form has some hidden
fields with data (user must be logged in to access this particular form).

I found the problem...  fixed it about 8 minutes ago, had to update the
entire site!

The problem only surfaces under IE9.  If you click into compatibility mode
the problem goes away.

Our doctype WAS defined as:
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Strict//EN" "
http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-strict.dtd";>
And the serialize failed.

I changed several things:
The doctype now reads:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd";>
Which in and of itself did NOT fix the problem.

So I forced compatibility mode using:

This solved the problem.

Backing back out to the original doctype with the forced compatibility mode
and the problem resurfaced.

Maybe someone a whole lot smarter than me will be able to figure out a real
solution for someone else! LOL