> Is response empty in network sniffer/web inspector? Or in javascript code?
>>>
>>  The response is already empty in web inspector.

Very bad

> You should check if it is actually written to HTTP response (maybe
>> response is already flushed).
>>
> If I return some HTML in addition to my base64 string the HTML arrives in
> response.

There is some problem in your server code. You should see returned base64
string in response in Web Inspector/network sniffer.

the js code here: http://pastebin.com/Y9SFVxKq

http://pastebin.com/CeREQhtd - cleaned up version, try this, you had extra
space between parameter name and value in your code, also element
manipulations were ineffective.