On Tue, 2009-06-02 at 18:52 -0700, Josh Triplett wrote:

> Honestly, at this point, having seen Keith's nice communication modules
> in action, I think we should just use those.  They connect to USB, and
> work like a USB serial device.

Actually, they just have a USB client endpoint; you can make them look
like whatever you want.

>   As long as we can manage to not saturate
> the USB bus, I think those will do exactly what we want.

This radio operates below 1GHz and offers a maximum data rate of
500kbps, which seems far below the requirements that PSAS has for
communication. To get to 500kbps, we'd probably require an external
amplifier.

TI builds 2.4GHz versions of this radio, but those have lower power
(1dBm instead of 10dBm) and also reduced data rates (250kbps).

If we can get up to 5GHz and run reliable data at a faster rate using
COTS 802.11a parts, I'd say it's worth a try. We could connect that via
USB as well if you like.

--
keith.pack...@intel.com