We could do that, and we've thought of that. But there's a lot of
reasons to have ATV on 2.4 GHz and switch telemetry to 5.8 GHz,
including having much smaller patch antennas. And 802.11a fits the bill
for 5.8 GHz, and is a known standard, and we don't have to (we hope)
write custom firmware to get it up and running.

Andrew