Since we need only about 5-10 seconds of smoke
(Skywriting isn't really on the menu) could we
just drown a glo-plug in a small tank of 'fog-fluid'
(glycol/water) and control it with a relay? (This
probably needs a less expl--um--messy design cycle...)

Here is nice overview of smoke generating technology...
(On a *different* wiki)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theatrical_smoke_and_fog
(Yes, yet another excuse to play with LN_2)

Typical(?) MSDS for commercial fog-fluids:
http://www.wfrfire.com/msds/fog.htm
http://www.rosco.com/includes/technotes/msds/fog/clearfog.pdf