Also, on a related note, if you need to program the GFE, the GFE is
using the first set of USB pins on the LPC, where as the olimex board
is using the second set. To build the code for the GFE you'll need to
add -DLPC2378_PORTB to the list of compiler flags and re-compile. My
line looks like this:
-I $(LPCUSB_COMMON_DIR) -D LPC23xx -DLPC2378_PORTB

Also, the GFE use the other set of CAN pins as well. My code has the
following to init the pins:
+
+       FIO0DIR |= (1<<4);//Set P0.4 to an output pin to allow for enabling
of the CAN tranceiver
+       FIO0CLR = (1<<4);//Turn on the can tranceiver
+
+       PINMODE0 = (PINMODE0 | (1<<0) | (1<<2)) & ~((1<<1) |
(1<<3));//disable pullup and pulldown resitors
+       PINSEL0  = (PINSEL0  | (1<<0) | (1<<2)) & ~((1<<1) | (1<<3));//Set
P0.0 and P0. into RD1 and TD1 mode
+       initializeCAN(CAN_BUS_1, brp, sjw, tseg1, tseg2, sam);

I also recommend bumping up the stack space allocated to the task. The
minimal stack size is usually too small and leads to non-deterministic
problems
-       xTaskCreate( blinkyLightTask, ( signed portCHAR * ) "usbCounter",
configMINIMAL_STACK_SIZE, NULL, mainCHECK_TASK_PRIORITY - 1, NULL );
+       xTaskCreate( blinkyLightTask, ( signed portCHAR * ) "usbCounter",
1024, NULL, mainCHECK_TASK_PRIORITY - 1, NULL );

Thanks,
-Dave