On Wed, Feb 08, 2012 at 09:51:37AM -0800, Andrew Greenberg wrote:
> Hi! Well, it went much better than we expected, but it didn't just
> automagically work. See:
>
> http://psas.pdx.edu/news/2012-02-07/
>
> Hey Josh: will you take a look at these results, and give us your
> opinion? As the insane
> let's-port-python-to-grub-and-poke-at-the-BIOS-guy, I think you win for
> experience with this sort of thing. I'm hoping we can get together as
> soon as possible (although I'd understand if it's not before your thesis
> defense on the 24th ;) and poke at this? Maybe build our ACPI table or
> something?

Linux has numerous drivers for non-ACPI batteries, and I think we'd have
a much easier time just using (or if necessary hacking on) such a driver
rather than attempting to shoehorn the details into ACPI, particularly
since we don't get to write the BIOS for that board.

Take a look at the "sbs-battery" driver (CONFIG_BATTERY_SBS), which
might do what we want; it talks to a battery directly using i2c, without
using ACPI.

I can certainly take a look at the problem in more detail in a couple of
weeks. :)

- Josh Triplett